Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Vacation Thoughts

Elk River, MN Current Temp: 16°
Savannah, GA Current Temp: 57°

Can you tell I am looking forward to my upcoming vacation! I am so excited to make my mom’s 70th birthday one she’ll always remember. I am searching right now for a bakery that will make a small cake for her. I didn’t think it would be this hard but not a lot of the little places have websites so I may have to make phone calls to find the right place. There is a cake called Hummingbird cake that is popular in the south. My mom has made one before and it’s pretty good. It has pineapple, banana and nuts. It seems healthier too but I’m probably fooling myself with that!! I have been thinking a lot about my vacation and how I am going to handle it. I have decided that I will not count points while I am gone but really watch and be mindful of what I’m eating. We have a hotel that has continental breakfast and then we have decided to have only one main meal (a late lunch/early dinner) and then just have small snacks in between and at night in the hotel. I am going to pack healthy, low point snacks so that when I do have a piece of cake or an ice cream cone, I won’t feel guilty. I am also planning a lot of activities that include walking and other activity to keep us moving. This lifestyle I am creating has to be one I can live with or it will never stick.

Food has been harder for me to resist this week. I am having no problem using all my daily points unlike last week. And that damn Hardees keeps taunting me. I drove my nephew to school this morning so they were advertising breakfast. I’m driving by and up pops a picture of the most delicious looking Caramel Crumb Biscuit! I think I might have even drooled! J I am a huge carb fan and any kind of bread or biscuit is like heaven to me. But I just kept driving. Then of course I had to go by it again on my way back to the house. But I again drove right by.

I improvised on exercise yesterday. I knew I didn’t have a lot of time as I would be getting home late. So I asked my niece to stand on my feet and I lifted my legs while she was standing on my feet. I could definitely feel the burn and she thought it was fun! I also had her stand in front of me and keep her legs planted straight. Then I took her hands and pushed her away from me and pulled her back. I could really feel it in my upper arms and again she thought it was a blast. So it was kind of fun to do something different and work on specific muscles in such a fun way!

That’s about it for today. Have Healthy Day!!
~Heidi



1 comment:

  1. I do know how hard it is to resist temptations..! GREAT JOB! You are the only one who can resist those temptations. I wish there was a switch that you could just shut off for food, but there isn't. I didn't exercise today - knee gave out - it isn't that I don't want to, but I also know I have limitations.. :(

    You are doing good planning your vacation - and you never know - there probably is even a workout area in the hotel. Only 30 minutes to give - heck even swimming is exercise! Keep it in mind and get your heart rate up and you'll do great on vacation!

    Keep up the good work - you are awesome! You are an inspiration to me and your every move gives me more energy to keep myself going!

    ReplyDelete