Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Set Backs

Well, I can say that vacation was a major set back for me. I had the best of intentions to track my food and even to weigh in while I was in Savannah. Neither of these things happened and my body definitely paid the price! When I started this blog I promised that I would share everything, not just the success stories. I can tell you that according to my home scale, I gained 7 pounds on vacation. This number has taught me 7 things.

  1. Tracking your food is crucial to your success.
  2. It is much easier to gain weight than it is to lose weight.
  3. I need to be held accountable (i.e. weigh-in every week) in order to be successful.
  4. Gaining weight is not failure, it is a set back. It is only failure if I chose to quit.
  5. I need to work really hard in the next few weeks to get back to where I was.
  6. The only person that was hurt by my set back is me.
  7. I felt like crap when I ate like crap.

So it is with this knowledge that I happily continue my journey with Weight Watchers and a total lifestyle change. Sometimes we need to encounter set backs in order to understand how to change future behaviors.

I will tell you that I did a lot of physical activity while on vacation. I am so proud to report that I made it to the top of the Tybee Island Lighthouse. This was 178 stairs and it was brutal! I made it up much quicker than I thought I would and the views from the top were amazing! Coming down the steps seemed to actually be harder than going up. My legs literally ached for three days afterwards. My quads have never worked so hard in their lives and they let me know it. It was so amazing though and I am so happy I pushed myself not to quit and make it to the top.




The other activity I did was walking around downtown, historic Savannah. We went on an on/off trolley tour and spent most of the time off the trolley walking around and shopping. I would say that I walked a good five hours that day. It was an amazing experience and I did more activity than I knew I could.

This week has started off well and I have already dropped 2 of the 7 pounds that I gained on vacation. My body is thanking me for getting back on track and I physically feel much better. Now if I could just figure out the emotional and mental feelings that have been plaguing me, I’d be all set. I think that I have some kind of post-vacation blues. It was like I had something to look forward to for so long and now it’s over. Also going from beautiful 70 degree weather to 12 inches of snow is enough to damper a mood. I do have graduation to look forward to but I think that scares me as well because then I need to focus on finding a job and that stresses me out and scares me all at once!

I will say that I have total faith that I am where I’m supposed to be and whatever happens is what is meant to happen in my life. I know God has a plan for me and I trust that with all my heart.



Have a Healthy Day!
~Heidi

1 comment:

  1. I am so happy to hear that you are back on track! YEAH for you!! You give me inspiration after a set back as well. Thank you! You are such an amazing writer and know exactly what to write and how to express your feelings! Awesome Job!! You go girl!

    ReplyDelete